Act: Stop Fracked Gas Pollution
A scandal is brewing in Salem. Oregon’s Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) plans to adopt a Climate Protection Program to reduce greenhouse gas pollution, but DEQ is proposing to let the state’s biggest polluters off the hook entirely.
Intern with Columbia Riverkeeper
Check out our exciting paid internship opportunities: Community Organizer Summer Intern (remote), Hanford Cleanup Intern (remote), and two Water Quality Technicians (monitoring based in Hood River and Portland). Gain meaningful and varied experience working with Riverkeeper staff and partner organizations.
The Path to Dam Removal
We have a historic opportunity to remove the four Lower Snake dams, recover Northwest salmon, honor Tribal rights and interests, and modernize our region’s energy and infrastructure systems.
Bold Action for Nuke Cleanup
Yakama Nation and Washington state, along with Columbia Riverkeeper, Hanford Challenge, and the Natural Resources Defense Council, up the pressure on the Biden administration to rescind the Trump-era regulation, which could abandon millions of gallons of radioactive waste at Hanford forever.
Partner Spotlight: Ana Molina, Beyond Toxics
Ana Molina is the Statewide Environmental Justice Liaison for Beyond Toxics. Ana advocates for environmental justice, climate justice, protections from toxic chemicals and pollinator protection—ensuring the voices of the people most impacted are at the forefront and leading conversations on environmental protection. Attend our upcoming webinar with Ana on March 25.
- Oregon Clean Energy: Support the Oregon Clean Energy Opportunity 2021 legislative campaign.
- Lower Snake Dam Removal: Tell your leaders to work with Rep. Simpson to remove the four Lower Snake dams, recover Northwest salmon, honor Tribal rights and interests, and modernize our region’s energy and infrastructure systems.
- Inslee + Watson = Climate Heroes: Washington rejected a dirty methanol refinery. When our leaders listen and protect our communities and our climate, we need to show them some love!
- Stop Oregon’s Free Pass for Fracked Gas Polluters: Help us tell Oregon leaders that the state can’t meet its climate goals by exempting the largest climate polluters from its emissions reduction program.
Events & Engagement:
- Oregon Clean Energy Opportunity:
The 100% Clean Energy for All (HB2021) public hearing is Monday, March 22 from 1 - 3 p.m. (note: the March 17 hearing was postponed). Check out the Oregon House Committee on Energy and the Environment website for details.
- Centering Frontline Communities: March 23, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
The fossil fuel industry targets Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities and puts health and safety on the line for profit. Learn about the a critical opportunity in Washington state to change the status quo.
- Environmental Advocacy, Perspectives from the Comunidad Latina: March 25, 2021, 6:00 p.m. Columbia Riverkeeper Senior Organizer, Ubaldo Hernández, will host a panel discussion with Lisa Muñoz, Program Director of Comunidades, Ana Molina from Beyond Toxics, and Dominica Navarro from Northwest Alternatives to Pesticides. Hear panelists’ perspectives on the environmental advocacy movement and learn how their organizations are working to prevent pollution and protect people’s health.
- Saving Salmon, What Will it Take to Save Salmon from Extinction: April 1, 2021, 6 - 7:30 p.m. Columbia Riverkeeper Community Organizer Kate Murphy and Senior Attorney Miles Johnson team up with special guests to share the latest on efforts to save salmon and orcas from extinction.
- Forgotten Toxic Waste Dump, The Bradford Island Story: May 3, 2021, 12 p.m. Learn how the Biden administration could end decades of cleanup delay at one of the most toxic sites on the Columbia River: Bradford Island and surrounding waters. Yakama Nation science and policy experts join Columbia Riverkeeper Legal and Program Director, Lauren Goldberg, for a deep dive into the U.S. government’s forgotten toxic waste dump near Bonneville Dam.
In the News:
- Earth Day Oregon outlines April 22 fundraising campaign effort, KTVZ, March 12, 2021
- Congressman Floats $33B Plan to Demolish Four Dams, Engineering News-Record, March 10, 2021
- Kalama methanol facility backers seek permit appeal, extension, The Reflector, March 9, 2021
- ‘Extraordinary concern.’ WA state wants Biden to overturn Trump rule on Hanford nuclear waste, The Tri-City Herald, February 27, 2021
- Coalition calls to block Easterday mega-dairy permit south of Tri-Cities, TriCity Herald, February 18, 2021